Created in the early 1840s and comprising of Gipps, Prospect and Shadforth Streets, this was the earliest concentrated residential and commercial settlement in Paddington, and became a bustling mecca in the years that followed.
The heritage building has undergone a complete refurbishment, with an elegant fit out evoking old world charm by leading interiors specialists Alexander & Co. It is a beautiful site reinvigorated with exposed brick, wall tiling, leather banquettes, solid wooden floors and a hand wrought communal bar all gently glowing from the warmth of hammered glass wall lights.
Comprising Gipps, Prospect and Shadforth Streets, Paddington Village was created in the early 1840’s to cater for the growing ranks at the Victoria barracks. Paddington Village was the earliest concentrated residential & commercial settlement in Paddington.
The area grew quickly and many shops, hotels and residences were built. In 1853, John Kennedy, opened The Rose and Crown on the corner of Glenmore Road and Gipps Street.
In 1888 The Rose and Crown was rebuilt, with the hotel keeping its former name and there is some evidence of the original fabric in the buildings cellar.
Numerous modifications have been made to the internal and external appearance of the hotel since it was first built. In 1920 a third story was added to the front section and in 1925 the space was enlarged again.
The Façade of the hotel was altered in 1930 when a street awning was added and again after 1949 when the original cantilevered balcony built on the corner façade of the second story was removed.
Recent renovations to the hotel have replaced the balcony and removed the awning.